Gift Aid is a Tax Relief Scheme that allows charities operating in the UK to reclaim the tax paid on a donation. For more information on how Gift Aid works, along with the rules and regulations governing Gift Aid, please see Charities and Tax at the HMRC website.
The FinDock Gift Aid extension allows you to register Gift Aid declarations and claim Gift Aid on donations in your Salesforce org. The FinDock solution integrates directly with HMRC. You can automatically file Gift Aid claims without manual work and without limitations on the number of transactions.
- FinDock is installed and configured.
The GiftAid for FinDock extension is available as a single package that contains both the ability to register the declarations and file the claims with HMRC.
The installation procedure is the same as with other FinDock extensions, described in Installing FinDock Packages. The process for activation, however, is slightly different.
To activate the GiftAid package:
- Launch the FinDock app and click Setup tab.
- Click the Activate/Deactivate tab.
- Locate the two Gift Aid entries in the list.
- First click the toggle in the STATUS column to activate the entry with CATEGORY ‘Source,’ and then activate the entry with ‘PSP.’ Follow the “Click here to see changes” link in the popup or click the Deploy config button to deploy the changes.
- After the deployment has finished (green bar at top), click the Payment Methods button in the ACTION column of the PaymentHub-GiftAid entry.
- Click the Active toggle and then close the window.
- Click Deploy config.
The Gift Aid extension comes with a permission set named GiftAid FLS which should be assigned to Gift Aid users. This permission set provides a user the extra permissions needed to use the FinDock Gift Aid features.
Salesforce does not allow Managed Packages, like FinDock, to add permission sets which grant users access to a custom object with a Master-Detail relationship to a standard object. Because both ‘Gift Aid Declaration’ and ‘Gift Aid Distribution Scenario’ have a Master-Detail relationship to a standard object.
So, you need to give Gift Aid users access to these objects and fields by creating your own permission set or by changing profile permissions. Make sure that Gift Aid users have read/write access to the following fields on Gift Aid Declaration:
- End Date
- Confirmation Date
- Close Reason
- Cooling Off Period End Date
- In Cooling-off Period
- Valid Now
To send a Gift Aid Claim file to HMRC, you need to create the target (account) which defines the login details and endpoint for the HMRC upload service.
To create a Gift Aid target:
- Launch the FinDock app and click the Setup tab.
- Scroll down and click the ProcessingHub tile to open the ProcessingHub setup page.
- Click the Targets tab.
- Click the Add Target button to create a new target.
- Give the Gift Aid target a clear, transparent name and select the target type PaymentHub GiftAid.
- Fill in the target settings. Each setting has a tooltip to help you fill in the correct information. Below you can also find descriptions for each setting.
Gift Aid target settings are described in the following table:
|Authorised Official First Name||The first name of the person within your organisation authorised to work with HMRC.|
|Authorised Official Phone Number||The phone number on which HMRC can reach the Authorised Official.|
|Authorised Official Postal Code||The postal code of the Authorised Official.|
|Authorised Official Surname||The surname name of the person within your organisation who is authorised to work with HMRC.|
|Charity Registration Number||Your charity registration number.|
|Charity Regulator||The acronym of your Charity Regulator, please use CCEW (Charity Commission for England and Wales), CCNI (Charity Commission for Northern Ireland) or OSCR (Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator).|
|HMRC Charities Reference||Your charity reference at HMRC. For Gift Aid testing purposes, use the HMRC standard testing reference: AB12345|
|Charity Name||The name of your charity as registered with HMRC.|
|Records per file||The maximum number of records per file allowed by HMRC is 500000.|
|Test Mode||If Test Mode is enabled, files are sent to the HMRC Test end-point. Please note that the HMRC test end-point does not provide content validation.|
|Upload Copy To Chatter||If enabled all files exchanged with HMRC are uploaded to Chatter. If disabled, only the Submission file and HMRC receipt are uploaded to Chatter. When in Test Mode, the uncompressed submission file is uploaded to Chatter, otherwise the compressed version is uploaded. In all cases, only compressed submission files are sent to HMRC.|
|XML API Password and XML API Username||Please fill with the credentials you have obtained from HMRC for the use of the HMRC online services. For information about the enroll can be found here. For Gift Aid testing purposes, use the HMRC standard testing credentials: XML API Username = 323412300001 and XML API Password = testing1|
After you are finished with the Gift Aid target, adjust the Gift Aid setup as needed.
To modify the Gift Aid Setup.
- In the FinDock app, click the Setup tab.
- Scroll down and click the PaymentHub-GiftAid tile.
- Adjust the settings as needed.
- Number of days cooling-off period: The duration of the cooling-off period for oral gift aid declarations. The default is 30 days, which is the official duration. Based on industry best practices, we recommend to not change this value.
- Max Installments per Payment Schedule: The maximum number of installments that can be included in a payment schedule and sent to HMRC at once. The default is 250,000, which is the HMRC recommendation. HMRC advises not to offer more than 500.000 claims in one run.
- Click Save when you are done.
The Gift Aid extension includes a Lightning Component called ‘Gift Aid Declarations’ that shows Gift Aid status on a specific date and allows you to create a new Gift Aid Declaration as well as closing all Gift Aid Declarations.
To add the Gift Aid component:
- Go to a Contact record.
- Under the Salesforce settings cog in the upper right corner, select Edit Page.
- In the components list on the left, search for ‘Gift Aid Declarations.’
- Drag the Gift Aid component to your Lighting page layout and click Save.
This component can be placed on Contact Record Page, Installment Record Page, Opportunity Record Page or NPSP Recurring Donation Record Page. If you do not put it on Contact Record Page, the primary lookup to Contact will be used as Contact.
For more information on page-layouts, and how to configure/change page layouts. See the Page Layouts article in the Salesforce documentation or do the Lightning Experience Customization module in Trailhead.
This class can be used to further customize GiftAid logic.
Create a Gift Aid Declaration as part of a new payment. All writable fields on Gift Aid Declaration can be included in the CreateGiftAidDeclaration block.
Close all Gift Aid declarations (i.e. stop collecting Gift Aid) as part of a new payment.