GoCardless is a payment service provider that has established a global bank debit network specializing in collecting recurring direct debit payments.
The FinDock integration with GoCardless is aimed at organizations that want a quick and simple way to set up Bacs Direct Debit payments for customers in the UK. If you need a high degree of configurability and personalization, including strict control over the creation and collection of Bacs Direct Debits as well as the required notifications to your customers, please consider our Bacs for FinDock solution.
With the GoCardless for FinDock integration, FinDock uses GoCardless to confirm compliance with the Bacs Direct Debit scheme. GoCardless makes sure all required checks on customer details are performed, handles all communication with the Bacs network, and sends all required notifications to the customer.
To enrich the customer profile with payment data and allow for updates to (Recurring) Payments in GoCardless from Salesforce, FinDock makes sure data is available in both Salesforce and GoCardless. The table below shows the data mapping between FinDock and GoCardless.
|Payment Profile||Bank account|
|Recurring||no mapping; only handled on FinDock side|
There are several ways to set up GoCardless direct debits. However, some require a GoCardless Pro or higher subscription. Please make sure to check your subscription level with GoCardless. In addition, some methods, such as taking payments by phone or in writing, require you to get special approval from GoCardless. Please make sure to contact GoCardless in these cases. FinDock cannot provide these approvals for you.
You can create single and recurring direct debits in the following ways:
- Payment Schedule: select type ‘Direct Debit’ to generate a payment in GoCardless for all recurring installments that you expect to collect. FinDock automatically checks lead-time compliance on mandates and sets next charge dates in accordance with the Bacs Direct Debit scheme requirements.
- FinDock Payment API: use PaymentMethod ‘Direct Debit’ and PaymentProcessor ‘GoCardless-FinDock’ to trigger a direct debit onboarding flow with GoCardless through a redirect URL to the GoCardless Direct Debit Instruction (DDI) page as shown below. You will need to use your own online payment form or FinDock Giving Pages.
- GoCardless Payment Link or Email(s): invite customers through GoCardless Payment Links & Emails to set up a direct debit. The customer will be redirected to the same DDI page as when you use the FinDock Payment API. This method requires GoCardless Pro.
- Quick Direct Debit: instantly create a GoCardless Direct Debit from a Contact or Account record. This method requires GoCardless Pro and approval from GoCardless. Please not this method is currently in pilot.
Currently unsupported or redundant methods:
- Custom Hosted Payment Pages
- Notifications / Engagement from Salesforce
- Update of mandate and bank details from Salesforce
- Cancelling single installments / payments from Salesforce
- Setting up a new payment / recurring donation with an existing mandate
- Triggering refunds from Salesforce
- Subscriptions and plans in GoCardless
- Manual entry of DDIs in GoCardless
You can use the Quick Direct Debit component to manually set up a GoCardless direct debit payment from within Salesforce.
To use Quick Direct Debit:
- Go to the contact record of the customer for whom you want to set up a direct debit payment.
- Make the contact record has both a name and email address defined.
- Input the customer’s Sort Code and Account Number in the Quick Direct Debit window.
- Select One Time or Recurring payment.
- If Recurring payment was selected, select a Frequency and a Start Date.
- If One Time payment was selected, enter a Description.
- Enter an amount
- Click Submit.
FinDock will now try to set up the Direct Debit with GoCardless. If the setup was successful, you will see a green ‘success’ bar at the top. If the setup was not successful, you will see a red ‘error’ bar at the top with a suggestion on what is required to successfully set up the direct debit like “Validation failed: email can't be blank.”
Note that FinDock has created a Recurring or Installment, Mandate and Payment Profile record related to the account in Salesforce. If you wish, you can now edit the created recurring payment or set up a new direct debit.
Once you have set up the Direct Debit with FinDock, GoCardless will:
- Activate the Mandate with the Bacs network (might take a while).
- Send required notifications about collections to the customer through email. For more information on what notifications are sent, please visit the GoCardless documentation on notifications.
- Collect payments from the customer.
- Manage the mandate based on communication with the BACS network.
- Send you, the Merchant, updates on Payments, Mandates & Customers.
For recurring payments, you can create the individual installments per the configured frequency of the recurring payments with a payment schedule.
Please make sure you take the Bacs Direct Debit timings into account when running a payment schedule.
Once a payment has been collected, the status and open amount of the installment in Salesforce are updated automatically.
FinDock allows you to update and cancel GoCardless direct debits and mandates from Salesforce. However, to stay compliant with the Bacs regulations and keep risks to a minimum, GoCardless allows for very limited updates to customer details, mandates and payments.
The following data may be updated for GoCardless direct debits from Salesforce:
- Recurring Payment
The following data may be cancelled for GoCardless direct debits from Salesforce:
- Recurring Payment
This means that to change the following (including but not limited to) data you will need to set up a new direct debit using the onboarding flow:
- Contact (Customer) email
- One-time payment amount
- Cancellation of payments already created in GoCardless
- Bank account details
GoCardless only supports a limited set of updates on Direct Debits and related information. Please refer to the GoCardless documentation to find out what is and what is not supported.
To Cancel a GoCardless direct debit mandate:
- Go to the specific mandate record.
- Click the Cancel Mandate button.
FinDock will now cancel the mandate with GoCardless. If the operation is successful, the mandate will be deactivated and the status will be updated to ‘Cancelled.’
If a GoCardless direct debit is paid, FinDock receives a notification from GoCardless. From this notification FinDock creates an Inbound Report record for reconciliation through Guided Matching. Some configuration is needed before you can use Guided Matching.
When you install FinDock, you get a set of managed and suggested rules for Guided Matching out-of-the-box to get you started. You can further expand on these rules by adding your own rules. You can view the rules in your Guided Matching Setup screen.
Refunds cannot be triggered from Salesforce. However, FinDock does update payment data based on refunds initiated by the customer and by you through GoCardless. For more information on how to process refunds with GoCardless, please visit the GoCardless support site.